Roasted Corn & Mango Salad
Summary: “The longer it sits, the better it gets”
- 8 ears of locally grown sweet corn (you can use frozen corn as well!)
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained (optional)
- 1 large cucumber, diced
- 1 bunch green onions, diced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- Coarse salt, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Peel back husks to remove silk from corn, LEAVING HUSKS ON. Smooth husks back over cobs of corn.
- Light an outdoor grill to medium heat or, if using a charcoal grill, light coals and wait until coals are covered in a light ash.
- Place corn on grill and cook until tender and somewhat charred on the outside and a little on the inside. this gives the salad a subtle smoky flavor) about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove corn from grill. Let cool. While corn is cooling, combine all remaining ingredients in large bowl and set aside.
- Slice corn off the cob into a serving bowl, making sure kernels are separate and not clumping together.
- Combine corn with remaining ingredients, toss and allow to sit in refrigerator for 8 hours or more before serving.
- The longer it sits, the better it gets!
Toss in with salad greens Serve as a side with chicken, ribs or fish Serve in a cheese quesadilla Serve as a salsa with chips Mix into scrambled eggs with salsa
Number of servings (yield): 8
Copyright © Cooper Boone.